Friday 30 September 2011

It´s been a busy week

Ceiba speciosa, formerly Chorisia speciosa

This lovely tree is the subject we have chosen to use as inspiration for a piece of work in the small design group I am part of along with Yvonne, Jenny, Maureen and Irene, who are also members of my much larger stitching group.  It´s common name is the Silk Floss Tree because it´s seed pods contain a kapok-like floss inside the pod protecting the seeeds.  We didn´t know the name of the tree, we just loved the huge thorns on the trunk and branches, along with the pretty pink speckled flowers, but we think it´s quite apropriate that we should have chosen this tree for a textile group to study!

I´ve been working on a couple of cards using silk carrier rods with embroidery and beads as embellishments.   The one shown here has been named Blue Eagle by Frank, who I made it for. 



Our combi-microwave caught fire this week too, no damage other than smoke thankfully, but this has meant hours of trawling the internet to find a replacement, then wasted trips to the shops to find one that fits our requirements.  There´s very little choice so I´ve now decided to manage with a small microwave for re-heating foods only, and will go back to using the big oven for other cooking until I find exactly what I want.  The whole exercise has been very frustrating and eaten into precious creative time!

I´ve had a couple of days cutting out all the squares and circles for a heavy duty curtain I´m making in tans, browns and cream leather.  I always enjoy working with leather; the leather smell brings back happy memories of my teenage years living at home where Mum and Dad were busy designing and making leather clothes for very posh ladies from Knightsbridge.

These are the colours of large squares of leather ready to pieced together

The circles ready to be appliqued onto some of the squares.



No comments:

Post a Comment