Monday 8 September 2014

Feeling blue......



I forgot about  these until this morning!!  I had put a bucket with ice dyeing in the storage shed on Saturday, where it would be a little cooler and hopefully the ice would melt a little more slowly giving me the lovely markings .  It doesn't seem to have suffered from being left two days, though I think the ice may have melted very quickly as the characteristic markings from this technique are not so evident, and I have a fair amount of very pale areas on the fabric piece which was in the bucket.  Now it's dry and ironed, the fabric is also a little lighter and I may decide to over-dye the piece which has less colour.  The apron which was thrown in the colander with the large piece of fabric seems to have taken the dye better, not sure why.  Anyway, these fabrics are intended to be used as the backing for my Japanese-themed quilt and if I can cut enough from the more solid colour fabric to make the backing from these two large pieces, I will keep the paler areas for another project as they are quite "sky-like".


                                      

While they were being washed and rinsed I spent the morning practicing using the Tru-stitch regulator on the HQ16.  It's a slow, long learning curve, but I'll get there.  The trouble is I have been quilting for a long time without it so I am having to go back to basics and it's frustrating,  When I get it right though, the results are worth it and the stitches are lovely , so I must, and will persevere!!!

 Tomorrow I'll be spending the morning with some of the VSS girls in the hall in Viñuela, before a trip to the nail salon.   I have cut out pieces for 4 more puzzle balls, and mastered a way to make them entirely on the sewing machine.   The only hand work needed is t turn the segments inside out and stuff them.  A massive improvement on the techniques we used when Mum and I made the two for Sam and Ben.   Tomorrow, I'll be turning the pieces inside out and stuffing them, ready for the next machine stage when I get home.  

I hope you are enjoying the "indian summer"  over there in England, here it's a little hazy but still hot, hot, hot;  but as the sun is moving around the house more, today I am working in the studio with one of the shutters up so it's lovely and light in here for a change.  Off tomy machine, see you soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment